Saturday, April 19, 2008

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Certain Girls is the sequel to Good in Bed. It takes place 13 years after the end of the first book and Cannie's daughter Joy is now 13. Cannie and Joy take turns as narrator every other chapter. Overall, it's a really entertaining book. It would probably have helped me to re-read Good in Bed before tackling this one, if only so the events would have been a little more clear in my mind. It took me a few "oh yeah" moments to really remember certain details. It's an interesting take on a mother-daughter relationship that gets a bit rocky due to the mother's trying to protect her daughter from the details of her younger days. I was entertained. The only complaint I have is the HUGE surprise ending that I felt was somewhat unnecessary...almost like it was just for shock value. In that light it worked because I was shocked, however, I think it would've been possible to wrap up the story without such a dramatic turn of events.

No comments: